420 N. Nevada Ave.
Index cut-off date: 20 October 2000
Order: Section, Row, Plot
First United Methodist Church, organized in 1871 as one of Colorado Springs's first churches, established its Bell Tower Columbarium and Memorial Garden in the early 1990s. It offers members, families of members, and former members interment of cremated remains. Bronze plaques engraved with name and year of birth and death identify the niches and memorial markers.
The church and columbarium are located at 420 North Nevada Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80903. According to GPS-derived geolocation (accurate to within 10 meters), the columbarium's coordinates are latitude 38°50'23.3"N and longitude 104°49'19.3"W. Records are maintained by the church at 420 N. Nevada Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80903; phone: (719) 471-8522.
The Bell Tower Columbarium offers a quiet, peaceful setting below the church's carillon bells, which can be heard ringing softly throughout downtown. It has 329 niches as well as an oak panel wall for 60 memorial plaques representing loved ones interred elsewhere.
The Memorial Garden is a landscaped area bordered by walkways, marble benches, and statues. It currently offers 180 wall-mounted cabinet niches, 111 in-ground niches, and a common scattering area for those who do not chose a niche. Room for expansion is available.