August 12, 2020 Meeting
Because the library is not open to public meetings, this PPGS meeting will be held by Zoom; invitations will be emailed to members. If you're not a PPGS member and want to see this program live with us, please email email@example.com.
"Absent Ancestors and Hidden Clues"
by Pam Vestal
Wondering why you haven’t found your ancestors in the records? Although they appear to be missing, their records may nonetheless exist, just not where we expect, or their information may be present but concealed. In this presentation, we'll explore strategies for tracking down these elusive ancestors so that we don't miss a single detail.
Pam Vestal is a professional genealogist and speaker from West Linn, Oregon, and the owner of Generations Genealogy, LLC. After 20 years as a professional writer, Pam turned her full attention to her longtime love of genealogy. Since then, her articles have appeared in the Association of Professional Genealogists Quarterly and FGS's Forum Magazine, and her lectures take her from coast to coast.
Wednesday, August 12
6:30 p.m., Zoom hangout will begin
7 p.m., Meeting begins via Zoom
The Venue, Library 21c
1175 Chapel Hills Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO
The Pikes Peak Genealogical Society meets on the second Wednesday of each month in The Venue, Library 21c, when the library is open. Guests are welcome. For more information, call PPLD, 531-6333, ext. 1252.
- Ancestry is offering its NARA records for free.
- Internet Archive introduces the National Emergency Library through June 30 or the end of the pandemic, whichever is later. More than 1.4 million digitized books, plus 2.5 million books not under copyright. Research, fiction, kids books.
- To help people keep up their family history research from home, the NEHGS Library is providing free access to books on our Digital Collections website. These book collections, which are normally available only to American Ancestors and NEHGS members, include city directories, family history books, and local history books.
- Use Ancestry Library Edition for free from home with a PPLD library card. Go to https://ppld.org/databases/ancestry-library-edition and enter your library card and PIN to use!
- Use Ancestry LIbrary Edition or MyHeritage for free from home with a DPL library card.
- Free access to Ancestry Library Edition, Fold3, and many other resources for current military and veterans.
Soundex is a system of coding names for the census based on sound rather than alphabetical spelling.
Undocumented family genealogies and county histories can contain truth and errors.
Between 1800 and 1805, Michigan was part of Ohio and Indian Territories.
Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG) Virtual
SLIG Virtual: Fall 2020 Information to be posted at the web site closer to the time of the courses. https://slig.ugagenealogy.org/index.php In-depth education in the comfort of your home. Registration opened 11 July 2020 at 11:00 am MT Web site: https://slig.ugagenealogy.org/cpage.php?pt=611 Offerings Intermediate Foundations: Sara A. Scribner, CG In-Depth Swedish and ...
Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) Conference 2020
For info: https://fgs.org/annual-conference/https://fgs.org/annual-conference/
Colorado PalAm Fall Seminar
Speaker: Kent Robinson; for information and registration form, click here. FRIDAY, 18 SEPTEMBER On FRIDAY AFTERNOON, SEPTEMBER 18, 2020, Mr. Robinson will present a lecture titled "Extend Your German Research—Websites to Locate Print Resources: WorldCat, Interlibrary Loan, Google Books, Internet Archive, PERSI, and others." This lecture will be FREE, ...
Introduction to Genealogy
THIS IS A ZOOM MEETING. Please set up your computer with the Zoom client app prior to the meeting, so that you are not delayed getting into the meeting. Set up is simple but is specific to the search engine you use - follow directions carefully. Instructor: Nancy Niles ...