November 11 Meeting
Thanks to COVID-19, PPGS meetings are being held by Zoom; invitations are emailed to members. If you're a member and haven't received an invitation by the day before the meeting, please email email@example.com. If you're not a member and want to view this program with us, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
"A Legacy of Honor for Military Ancestors"
stories by PPGS members
Wednesday, November 11
6:30 p.m., Zoom hangout begins
7 p.m., Meeting begins via Zoom
The Venue, Library 21c
1175 Chapel Hills Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO
The Pikes Peak Genealogical Society meets on the second Wednesday of each month in The Venue, Library 21c, when the library is open to public meetings. Guests are welcome. For more information, call PPLD, 531-6333, ext. 1252.
- Ancestry is offering its NARA records for free.
- Internet Archive introduces the National Emergency Library through June 30 or the end of the pandemic, whichever is later. More than 1.4 million digitized books, plus 2.5 million books not under copyright. Research, fiction, kids books.
- To help people keep up their family history research from home, the NEHGS Library is providing free access to books on our Digital Collections website. These book collections, which are normally available only to American Ancestors and NEHGS members, include city directories, family history books, and local history books.
- Use Ancestry Library Edition for free from home with a PPLD library card. Go to https://ppld.org/databases/ancestry-library-edition and enter your library card and PIN to use!
- Use Ancestry LIbrary Edition or MyHeritage for free from home with a DPL library card.
- Free access to Ancestry Library Edition, Fold3, and many other resources for current military and veterans.
- Researching During the Time of COVID-19 by PPLD, July 2020: How to use Special Collections resources.
When doing field research never use water-based pens. A few drops of rain can be lethal to your notes.
Identify all researchers by name for all contributions, including your own.
Scanning lots of documents for your family history project? If so, scan them in gray scale, not color, and use a low-resolution of 72 dots per inch. This will save space and make your scans go faster.
2020 MyHeritage LIVE
For info: https://live2020.myheritage.com/ This is the third annual user's conference, which has great instruction on genealogy, not just MyHeritage products. They record many presentations, which can be viewed live or archived, if you can't make it to Israel.
Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG)
SLIG 2021 will be virtual. Three different weeks of classes will be available. Courses are 6 full days and may include homework. SLIG Week 1: 10 through 15 January 2021 – 7 courses from which to choose SLIG Extended: 19 and 21 January 2021 – Technology and Professional classes and ...
Free. To register and for more info, see www.rootstech.org
RootsTech 2021 -- Free
The 2021 RootsTech conference will be held online for free to all. Register here.